Ukulele is a relatively low-cost musical instrument that has gained a lot of popularity with musicians over the years. Although it is usually played by professionals, beginners can also easily learn to play this instrument.
Ukuleles come in different shapes, sizes, and designs and are made using different materials.
Therefore, you should be careful while shopping for an instrument. The following article provides information about some of the best ukuleles for beginners available on the market today with a buying guide.
Here’s The List of The Best Ukulele for Beginners
|1. Lanikai LU-21 Soprano Ukulele|
|2. Kala KA-SSTU-C Solid Spruce Top Tenor Ukulele|
|3. Oscar Schmidt OU5 Concert Ukulele|
|4. Cordoba 15CM-E Edge Burst Acoustic Electric Concert Ukulele|
|5. Kala Tenor MadnessTM Ukulele Starter Kit|
Lanikai LU-21 Soprano Ukulele
The Lanikai LU-21 Soprano Ukulele is one of the best selling ukuleles for beginners and is a great choice whether you are just starting out or have been playing for a while.
The body of the instrument is made from mahogany, which gives it a warm and mellow sound. It has 20 frets and comes with Aquila Nylgut strings. This particular model comes with an instruction booklet that will help you to learn how to play the ukulele.
- This ukulele is perfect for beginners.
- It is a great choice, whether you are just starting out or have been playing for a while.
- It has a warm and mellow tone that makes it easy to sound good when you start playing.
- The instrument is very easy to play because of the lightness, as well as being very durable.
- Some people have found it difficult to tune this product if they have never played the ukulele before. If you can get past this, then this instrument is a good buy.
Kala KA-SSTU-C Solid Spruce Top Tenor Ukulele
When you are looking for the best ukulele for beginners, then you need to check out the Kala KA-SSTU-C Solid Spruce Top Tenor Ukulele. This instrument is made using solid spruce top, back, sides and bridge.
It has a rosewood fingerboard and bridge which gives it a rich tone that is perfect for strumming and picking tunes.
The body of the instrument is laminate mahogany. It also comes with Aquila Nylgut strings and an instructional DVD which will help you get started playing your ukulele quickly and easily.
- This ukulele has a great tone that sounds even better as time goes on and it gets worn in.
- The instrument is very easy to play due to its lightness and is very durable too.
- It has 20 frets and comes with Aquila Nylgut strings which make it easier to play than other ukuleles that come with nylon strings.
- This instrument comes with an instructional DVD as well as an Uke Leash which helps to keep your uke in place when you are playing it so you don’t have to worry about dropping it while you are learning how to play it.
- Some users have found that this product does not stay in tune very well, especially when it is exposed to warm temperatures such as those in an air-conditioned room or after being kept in a car during summer where it might have gotten hot in the car boot.
Oscar Schmidt OU5 Concert Ukulele
The Oscar Schmidt OU5 Concert Ukulele is another great choice if you are looking for the best ukulele for beginners.
This instrument features a solid spruce top and mahogany body, back and sides which give it a warm and rich tone.
It also comes with Aquila Nylgut strings and an instructional DVD so you can get started playing quickly and easily.
This particular model comes with a gig bag which will make it easy to take your ukulele with you wherever you go.
- This ukulele has a great sound that gets better as the instrument is played more and becomes more worn in.
- It is very comfortable to play, especially for people who have larger hands.
- This instrument is very durable which makes it a good choice if you want to use it regularly.
- It is easy to tune this product which means that you will be able to get it in tune quickly so you can play without having to wait between songs or numbers in a performance while you wait for your ukulele to be tuned.
- Some users have found that the bridge of this product is not very good and tends to come out of place when they are trying to tune it.
Cordoba 15CM-E Edge Burst Acoustic Electric Concert Ukulele
The Cordoba 15CM-E Edge Burst Acoustic Electric Concert Ukulele is a nice ukulele and it has a great sound. It is made from mahogany and it is very good quality.
This ukulele is also very comfortable to hold because of its nylon strings. The Cordoba 15CM-E Edge Burst Acoustic Electric Concert Ukulele also comes with an electric cable that allows you to connect the ukulele to an amp or an electric guitar.
So if you are looking for a professional ukulele, you should really consider this one.
- Rich sound
- ABS body and fingerboard binding set.
- Sleek satin finish
- Silver tuners with pearl buttons
- Premium Aquila strings
- Some users feels that set up consistency a bit off
Kala Tenor MadnessTM Ukulele Starter Kit
The Kala Tenor MadnessTM Ukulele Starter Kit is a great choice if you are looking for a good beginner ukulele.
This ukulele is very affordable and it has a beautiful design. It also comes with a tuner and extra strings, so you can really use it right out of the box.
The Tenor MadnessTM Ukulele Starter Kit has a solid spruce top and mahogany sides and back.
It also looks very nice because of its tortoise binding and the abalone rosette on the top. So if you are looking for a high quality ukulele, then this one might be the perfect choice for you.
- Great sound quality
- Aquila strings
- Easy to learn
- Built up quality can be increased
Best Ukulele For Beginners-Buying Guide
1. Consider The Ukulele Size:
Ukuleles come in different sizes, and if you are purchasing one for the first time, then it is important to settle for a smaller one. You should go for a soprano ukulele that is the smallest type of the three types that are available.
2. Consider The Ukulele Brand:
There are many brands of Ukulele available in the market today. When you are making your purchase, it is important to make sure that you settle for a reputable brand. You need to make sure that the brand has been around for a long time so that you can be sure of getting value for your money.
3. Consider The Ukulele Quality:
The quality of the ukulele should always be your top priority. There is no point in purchasing an instrument that will not serve you well or last long. You need to do an extensive research and settle for ukuleles that have good reviews from previous buyers.
4. Consider The Ukulele Price:
The price of the ukulele should not be your main concern when making your purchase. It is important to purchase a ukulele that has good features but at an affordable price.
5. Consider The Ukulele Color And Design:
When it comes to choosing colors and designs, you are free to do whatever makes you comfortable and satisfied. It is important to make sure that you settle for a good-looking and fun ukulele that will motivate you to practice more often than not.
6. Consider The Ukulele Pickup:
The pickup should be able to produce excellent sound quality, and this is something you need to look out for when making your purchase. It is important to choose a pickup with good reviews from previous buyers so that you can get value for your money in the end.
7. Consider The Ukulele Strings:
The strings of the ukulele should be made from quality material and in high numbers so that they produce better sound quality than others with fewer strings. You should make sure that you go for ukuleles with nylon strings as they are better than those with steel strings in terms of sound quality, price, and durability.
8. Consider The Ukulele Bridge:
It is important to consider the bridge of the ukulele before making your purchase. A good bridge will make it easy to keep the instrument in tune, and this will leave you satisfied at the end of the day as well.
9. Consider Accessories:
When purchasing an instrument such as a ukulele, it is normal to find additional accessories such as straps, picks, cases, and tuners among others included in the package, and this makes it easy for beginners who do not know where to start when it comes to choosing these items separately.
Best Ukulele For Beginners-FAQ
Q: What Is Ukulele?
The ukulele is a small stringed instrument with four strings. The ukulele is also known as the “jumping flea” because it was originally made by the natives of Hawaii from a small hollowed out gourd. It is now considered as one of the most popular instruments around the world.
Q: What Are The Different Sizes Of Ukuleles?
Ukuleles come in different sizes, ranging from soprano to baritone. The size of the ukulele depends on the length of the strings. A soprano ukulele has a smaller body and four strings while a baritone ukulele has a larger body and four strings.
Q: How To Buy Ukulele For Your Kids?
Here are five tips that you can use when buying a ukulele for your child:
1. Be sure that whichever model you choose makes your child happy, for if he/she is not happy, then he/she will not learn how to play it and will not appreciate it.
2. Be sure to stick to an affordable budget. There are many cheap ukuleles available in the market today, so you can easily find one that fits your budget.
3. Make sure to buy something that is easy to play so that your child will be able to play it right away without you having to spend too much time teaching him/her how to do it or practicing on his/her own.
4. Try to avoid buying a ukulele with a lot of parts so that your child will not have any problems putting them together and playing right away. Also, make sure to look for additional supplies such as amp, tuner, strap button, etc., if necessary, so your child will be able to use it right away without needing additional purchases.
5. If you are looking for a good quality product that will last long, you can opt for those made by reputable brands such as Kala or Lanikai since they are made using high quality materials like solid acacia wood which assures durability and sturdiness.
Q: What Is The Difference Between Acacia And Mahogany Ukuleles?
There is no difference between acacia and mahogany ukuleles except for their price since mahogany is more expensive than acacia because of its rarity and superb acoustic properties which give more resonance while producing rich tones.
Acacia has excellent acoustic properties too since it has tight grain patterns which give more brightness while producing crisp tones. Both types are equally durable and can last for years even with frequent playing.
They are also less expensive than other types of wood such as rosewood or maple which makes acacia and mahogany ukuleles very good choices for beginners or those who do not want to spend too much money on buying an instrument.
Q: Which Type of Ukulele Is Best for Beginners?
There are two types of ukuleles that are suitable for beginners: the concert and tenor ukulele.
Both of these types are easier to play than soprano ukulele because of their larger and wider fretboard which allows you to play more comfortably without having to stretch your fingers too much.
They also produce richer tones than soprano ukuleles while still retaining their bright and crisp sound.
Q: How Should I Care For My Ukulele?
Here are some tips on how to care for your ukulele:
1. Make sure to clean it regularly using a soft cloth or a soft brush. You can use the same cloth or brush to clean the rest of the instrument as well.
2. Make sure to keep it in a safe place where it will not get too hot or too cold, especially if you are going to store it outside or if you leave it in your car during a hot day so that the wood will not crack or break due to extreme temperature changes.
3. If the strings of your ukulele are loose, you can tighten them with the tuning pegs by turning them clockwise until they feel tight enough. If the strings are too tight, you can loosen them by turning the tuning pegs counterclockwise until they feel just right.
4. When playing, always make sure that your finger nails are short and that your hands are clean before touching the fretboard or strings since dirty hands may leave marks on the neck or cause small dents on the body of your ukulele which can affect its sound quality and appearance. It is also best to wear thin gloves when playing to avoid calluses or blisters because playing for long hours can cause these skin conditions due to pressure from holding the instrument tightly when playing.
5. Make sure to clean the body and fretboard after each use since dust may get trapped between the wood and strings which may cause it to rust and weaken over time. You can also wipe it with a damp cloth if needed although you should avoid doing this too often because dampness may damage its finish and markings.
6. When bringing it outdoors, be sure to bring along a case or bag where you can protect it from dust and scratches since it can easily get damaged when moved around frequently without protection. This will also ensure that your ukulele will last longer without getting damaged when being moved around frequently without protection.
7. If possible, avoid leaving your instrument in places where there are extreme temperature changes since this may cause cracks and dents on its body which may affect its look and sound quality over time.
Q: What Are the Techniques That Make Me a Good Ukulele Player?
Here are some ukulele playing techniques that you can learn so you can play well:
1. Pressing your chords –
When playing chords, you should press your fingers firmly on the strings to achieve a crisp and loud sound.
Avoid pressing them too hard or too soft because if you press them too hard, your sound will be dull and produce no vibrations.
On the other hand, if you press them too softly, your sound will be dull as well because there will be no vibrations from the strings due to lack of pressure. You may have to practice pressing them until you find the right amount of pressure needed for producing clear sounds.
2. Pressing your strings –
This is another technique that will help you produce better sounds for chords. You should press your strings firmly but not too hard or else they will break or become loose.
You may also have to adjust your finger placement to achieve the right tone and sound that you want to produce.
3. Ukulele strumming –
In order to produce a rhythmic sound while strumming, you should place your thumb on the back of your ukulele’s neck just below the body and your remaining fingers on the fretboard near the nut so that they will not touch any of the strings while strumming.
Your strumming rhythm may also depend on how fast or slow you move your hand back and forth across the strings while strumming.
4. Ukulele fingerpicking –
This is done by plucking each string individually with your fingers instead of strumming all of them at once which is called strumming.
To do finger picking, you should place your index finger on the first string, middle finger on the second string, ring finger on the third string, and pinky finger on the fourth string while also placing your thumb below them for support since it may get tired from holding up your hand when doing this technique over time.
You can also move these fingers down one string each time you pick a note until all of them reach the first string again where you can then start from scratch by going back up one string each time you pick a note until all of them reach the fourth string.
A ukulele is a very small and cute musical instrument with an incredible sound. It’s easy to play, simple to carry and affordable. That’s why it’s a good choice for beginners.
If you are planning to buy your first ukulele, you should definitely go for any of the above-reviewed products. This is because they’re the best ukuleles for beginners in 2021. Your search for the best ukulele ends here!